McKinley plays guitar:
Everyday for the past two weeks McKinley has been going over to the guitar and strumming it. And in those moments, I’d think to myself, I have to start playing again— dad would want me to—I’ll feel him with me. But I haven’t picked up the guitar.
When I drive, I sing. Ohh, and I get really into it. For the last couple of weeks while singing I’ve thought, I should learn this song on the guitar– it would be beautiful. But I haven’t yet. And why not!?
It seems clear now, but my mother actually pointed it out to me in an earlier conversation.
I said, “I’ve been praying for a sign from dad.”
“Today McKinley strumming on that guitar, and being silly– that was dad,” she said. Then it hit me. All my thoughts from the last two weeks flooded my mind.
I havn’t been listening!
My dad once told me, “God speaks all the time, but very few know how to listen.” My dad believed that at certain times, in certain moments, God spoke through people—That someone could say something to you, and it could be God speaking, and if you weren’t listening, you would miss it.
I was nominated for the Most Influential Blog award! My jaw dropped when I read the email. I thought to myself—Me? My blog? Influential!? Oh my gosh..really!!!!? I am ecstatic and truly honored about this nomination. Genevieve over at Coloring Outside the Lines graciously nominated me. Thank you Genevieve! Her blog is wonderfully written. She inspires others and candidly writes about parenting, education, and her experience with her three children. Check her out!
1. Display the Award on your Blog.
2. Announce your win with a post and thank the Blogger who awarded you.
3. Present 10 deserving Bloggers with the Award.
4. Link your awardees in the post and let them know of their being awarded with a comment.
5. Answer each of the 10 questions that your awarder asked, and then write 10 for your awardees (or use the same ones up to you)
1) What is your favorite season?
I feel in love with Autumn years ago. Beauty just radiates. It’s also, a time of “shedding” for me—as the leaves fall I let my worries and woes fall too.
2) Who is your favorite singer?
My father. He was amazing at manipulating his voice. My personal Bob Dylan!
3) What is your favorite kind of music?
4) Who is your favorite author?
Truthfully? I don’t read enough to have one.
5) If you had enough money, what charity would you donate to?
6) If you had enough money, what room in your home would you renovate?
If I had enough money, I would buy a home.
7) What is your favorite television show? The League–Suits–Survivor–Parenthood
8) Which of these is your most favorite drink: Pepsi – Coke – Ice Tea – Water? Water.
9) Do you own a desktop PC or laptop…or both? I own an iMac desktop and PC laptop. I prefer Apple products.
10) What would you rather do for relaxation, read a book or watch television?
When I want to relax, I take a bubble bath and light a candle. 🙂
My questions to nominees:
1) If you could have one last meal–what would it be?
2) What is the last song you listened to?
3) Dogs or cats?
4) What is your favorite holiday and why?
5) What is the last book or article you read?
6) Kit-Kats or Reeces?
7) What is your favorite movie?
8) Anchorman or The graduate ?
9) What is your favorite constellation and why?
10) What is your ideal vacation spot?
These are the blogs that inspire my creativity and challenge my core being.
1. Pocketful of Motherhood– Hannah is amazing. She encourages me to become a better person and re-evaluate and strengthen my relationship to our Heavenly Father.
2. Reversecommuter– Without her — I would have no fashion sense whats-so-ever. She seriously influences my entire wardrobe when I step outside the house.
3. Mommytrainingwheels -Sophie is like my mother in crime. 🙂 Her blog is really fun to read. She posts great advice on products for parents and is very engaging. Her son Charles, or The Dude is very adorable.
4. Adventures of a stay at home dad– Matt & Sandy- they are a cute couple that get into all kinds of fun stuff. Matt is a great writer and I have found myself chuckling often!
5. mindlovemisery– A beautiful poet, who has a way of letting words dance.
6. Pennypinchingpeach– Keisha has influenced me to really look for good deals and steals! 🙂 And, I mean, she is a Georgia Peach & so am I 😉
7. Livenlovenlearn-Love this blog! Amanda is awesome. An elementary teacher turned homemaker. So her blog has become my haven.
8. Flyingbubbles– Love this blog for a quick read & for conversation starters.
9. Sisterhoodstickynotes– It’s a blog all about celebrating woman. A true feminist blog (I mean that in a good way–some people don’t understand the true meaning of the word “feminist”).
10. Little sign, and more– Growing up signing with my brother, this blog is awesome for learning to sign with little ones! Bethany’s blog is awesome I love reading it for beauty, recipes, craft ideas and more!
That’s it ya’ll.. I’ve been meaning to do this post for over a month now. I’m glad I finally got around to doing it! To all my nominees you guys are awesome keep up the fabulous posts!
Whether you are starting the New Year with weight loss goals or healthier meal choices this is the recipe for you and your family. These wraps are a healthy kid friendly meal! The hash is adapted from Nourishing Meals and the black bean salsa from my sister-in-law! Together they make for a powerful palette 🙂
*Gluten Free & Dairy Free *
- 3 cups Yukon gold or little yellow Potatoes (anything will work) diced into small chunks
- 2 cans black beans (drain well and cook separate to begin)
- 1 head a collard greens (peel off and cut off ends)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of Chipotle chilli powder
- 1-2 teaspoons of oregano
- 1/2 dozen eggs (cooked separate – scrambled eggs)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 avocado
- Pico de gallo
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1 lime (squeeze the juices!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon of mayo
Black bean Salsa:
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks of green onions
- 1 lime squeezed
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Agave
1. An hour before you are ready to cook dinner, put all the black bean salsa ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Then let it sit in the fridge. (When cutting up cilantro for salsa chop up extra ahead of time for the hash and leave aside)
2. Heat up onions for the Hash in a sauce pan and sautee for 5 minutes. Add in potatoes, oregano, and chipotle chilli powder. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, put all the guacamole ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
5. Heat up eggs in a skillet and scramble them.
6. Once everything is cooked, take a Wet a paper towel and place it on a microwave safe plate. Place big pieces of collard greens (4 at a time) on plate. Then top them with another wet paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute.
7. Put ingredients into the collard green: Potato Hash, Scrambled egg, guacamole, and salsa- then wrap up!